Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Pipeline Path

I first found this opening into the pipeline of the Pipeline Path a few years ago on a hike with my daughter. It's visible in an area of the path where there is an obvious unnatural hump in the ground. A cool, damp breeze emanated from the opening, about a foot in diameter, and the ground around it was littered with porcupine quills. Somewhat nervously I held my camera down inside, half expecting to encounter some sort of animal, or to bring the camera up, look at the LCD screen, and see some eerie shining yellow eyes staring back at me. So far I'm 0 for 2 on that count--no beasts. Once I found this part of the pipeline, the name started to make sense, and so did the countless bricks that can be seen along the path. I'm guessing it carried water from Scott reservoir to Overlook Reservoir at some point, and is no longer in use. But who built it, and when? I know of a similar pipeline on conservation land in Athol that was built in the early 1900s by immigrant Italians who lived nearby in tent camps. Did the construction of the Pipeline Path pipeline have a similar origin? We'd like to know. Maybe the library or the historical society have some information. Those trips are on a "to do" list.

It's also interesting to see the numbered granite markers that can be found in the middle section of the path. They seem to go in no particular order. What do they signify?

Sometimes, it's fun to think of the pipeline is a huge wildlife Ted Williams Tunnel. I picture skunk and porcupines scurrying along, undisturbed by coyote. I can hear Rich Kirkland now...."Were just getting word of a backup in the Pipeline Path Tunnel due to an oversize raccoon." I'm sure there are other openings. I've found one likely area, but haven't explored it thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment